Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Reflection piece

Johnny Coulanges

Reflection Paper

When I take time and reflect upon this journey we like to call high school I begin to appreciate the tremendous impact this last English class experience has left with me. I believe this year has helped me become a better writer as well as interpreter of the art of literature. Prior to this year I could not imagine that I would be writing this much through the course, also surprised at the fact that we(technically speaking) flew through most of the books we read this year, considering the fact that I was not at all into reading. As the school year went by it begin feeling more like a will to do so, as opposed to feeling obliged to read and share. Looking back I noticed an increase of skills in terms of organization, defining the prompt, use of vocabulary, comparing and contrasting etc.., in which all made it much easier to express my self through writing. Throughout the course I discovered different forms of writings which benefited me on the long run over the course of years to come.
For instance we were asked to do several video critics where as we evaluated if the visual demonstration lived up to the book’s immense feel, with its score (music) use of angles, and lighting. In terms of the visual perspective it allowed me to write more and in more depth because it was based on something I could see visually .After doing so I became accustom to using this particular technique, which is very helpful and allows a different point of view. This year has helped me depict and break down the key components of a novel so that I may better understand and comprehend what is going on. It allows you compare and relate directly to the characters of the book, and voice in your opinion. By using this technique it challenged me to think differently, I’ve noticed after quite some time exercising it, when I read I am able to paint a picture in my head of how it might look, and the feel that is intended to be portrayed.. Therefore you can go about including what you saw through out the process of the completion of the assignment. I have to say that I really appreciate the choice of books to read although at the moment when I had first been presented to the type of books we were looking to read through out the year. I was not too found or interested of whatever it may be. But the fact of the matter is that these books were fairly confusing at times it challenged you to think critically as well as having an open mind, and II wanted nothing to do with that (sounded like too much work). But after actually considering following through partially at first because I was obligated to. I can honestly say the following books The Namesake, The Stranger, and of course some of Shakespeare’s work so far is the most powerful influential mind blowing books I have ever read in my lifetime. These thoughtfully selected books let alone the teaching style and positive learning environment created through out this year is a gift that will stay with me as long as I pursue with my work of literature. I have been enlightened to how I perceive things about society and individuals of it. Most of the books chosen to evaluate this year were consisted of outcast to what is claimed to be “society” whether positively or negative. Books like these are very powerful and invite you to consider thinking about certain things differently given the main character’s situation. It’s ironically comical how our teacher Mr. Gallagher quotes either before or during teaching that this would change our lives if we allow it, and that it’ll be a life lesson. I know me myself laughed at the fact that he would say such things, and my classmates may not have taken his word seriously. But I come to realize if not changing ours lives, the experience of this psychological experience would definitely leave an impact. Of course not to be boastful but when you let the forms of art do their work, such as poems, books, dance, music, verbal demonstrations and written compositions. They tend to have a greater purpose/message whether it be a true story or what really is important in this polluted world that unfortunately does not get much attention. Altogether I thank my teachers and my peers for having a permanent influence on me that will last.

No comments:

Post a Comment