Monday, May 24, 2010

Johnny Coulanges - Notebook Entry



Argumentative Essay

Early on the book “Ibsen’s A Doll’s house I’ve developed the impression that Nora is a very mischievous and conniving character. I had no sense of empathy for her at all, I felt that her actions were much selfish and ungrateful for everything she had. In addition to that there were several examples in the book that help me feel stronger for my opinion. So for me Nora is the least sympathetic character in this excerpt for several reasons.
Torvald is happily married to his wife Nora, who he happens to feel strongly for. When looking from Torvald’s perception I feel that he is constantly reaching g out in a sense to his wife, but he doesn’t receive much in return. It’s as if Torvald treats her to whatever she wants as if she were his child, and ironically Torvald addresses his wife as his little skylark. I felt that the author did that purposely to give a clue to the readers questioning their marriage stability. There’s evidence that Nora might be taking advantage of the fact that Torvald now holds a higher position concerning his occupation. She is real careless of their financial issues and more concerned about what she might want at the moment, which is a bit childish.
I also wanted to address the fact that she was willing to jeopardize her husband’s position in order to protect herself of her wrong doings. The lack of communication between the married couple doesn’t have me convinced that there is a form of trust. Instead of explaining to her significant other about her situation she decides to per say (beat around the bush) and not be fully truthful. That disturbs me knowing that she would be willing to do such a thing in order to protect herself, leading me to question their love in marriage. Personally I believe you ought to be truthfully honest to your significant other not because you are obliged to but because it’s for the best.
Although Nora is actions do not display that she might feel for Torvald as he is for her. Later on in the book she has come to a realization that she really does not love him. I think she wanted to believe that she loved him but the truth hit for the best. She is still the least sympathetic character for me, because in a way she used Torvald to her advantage knowing she didn’t not love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment